Coffee cakes are one of the staples in cafes and bakeries. A warm piece of coffee cake with a dark roasted cup of coffee or even a cold glass of milk…I’m getting hungry just thinking about it. There are many, many variations of coffee cakes from a simple sugar crumb cake to fruit coffee cakes and even eggnog coffee cake. Today I’m doing a traditional sugar cinnamon mixed with sour cream and chocolate chips for something special. Moist sour cream coffee cake topped with a chocolate chip crumble? Sign me up for a piece or two!
Sour cream coffee cake
Yield 9 inch round pan
Write a review
Chocolate cinnamon streusel
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 4 tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cups sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 9 inch round pan with cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- Prepare the streusel by combining the sugar - cold butter in a medium bowl. Cut the butter into the mixture using a pastry cutter or 2 forks until the mixture is well combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- To make the coffee cake, combine the dry ingredients from the flour - the salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the egg in a large bowl until frothy, about 3 minutes. Add the sugar, butter and vanilla, beating until smooth. Add the sour cream and beat until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the sour cream mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle streusel on top in an even layer. Bake coffee cake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Cherry on my Sundae http://cherryonmysundae.com/
**Helpful tips and common mistakes
What qualifies as a coffee cake? Coffee cake is a general term that refers to cakes that are eaten alongside coffee, just as the same suggests. This dessert is a single layer cake that is often flavored with cinnamon or other spices, nuts or fruits. Some coffee cakes have a streusel while others may have a light glaze, the options are endless. This coffee cake is a cinnamon spiced dessert with a chocolate streusel, just a little something special to set it over the edge.
Although there is chocolate in this streusel, I find that it’s such a small amount that it doesn’t sweeten up the cake too much. You can substitute this with toffee or nuts if you like, or just eliminate it altogether.
The batter comes together quite quickly, which is why you want to have the streusel ready to go. Beat the eggs until frothy, add your wet ingredients than finish with the dry. If you want to go a healthier route, substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream.
The first time I made this coffee cake, I spread a layer of the streusel in between the batter and on top to create layers. As appealing as this initially sounded, the cake was just too sweet. Lesson learned, one topping is plenty!
This sour cream coffee cake was exactly what I wanted: moist, with a hint of cinnamon and little bites of chocolate. What more can you ask for in a coffee cake? What’s your favorite way to prepare this popular dessert?
Looking for someone to come to your house and prepare these dishes for you? It is possible! If you are in Los Angeles and looking for a private chef, please feel free to contact me. For more information, visit Private Kitchen Los Angeles.