You know I never understood the whole craze about kale until recently. The fibrous green that has been transformed into the famous kale chips, braised kale, and, of course, kale salad, has finally wormed its way into my mouth and my heart. My favorite kale salad is the following recipe using a sweet and tangy vinaigrette paired with crab. Perfect for a healthy lunch, this meal can even be prepared the day before!
Shredded kale salad with crab
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 254
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 30g
Saturated Fat 4g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 17g
Total Carbohydrates 16g
Dietary Fiber 6g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 tbsp currants
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 bunches kale, thick stems discarded, leaves torn and shredded (about 2 quarts)
- 1/3 cup toasted pinenuts
- 1 blood orange, sliced into segments
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 lb crabmeat
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the currants and vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds or until the currants are plumped up. Whisk in the honey. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the toasted pine nuts with the kale and add the dressing 1 tbsp at a time until the kale is well-dressed. Mix well. Let the kale sit in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes or overnight to soften the kale.
- Portion the kale into four plates. Top with the grapefruit segments, avocado, green bell pepper, and crabmeat. Drizzle extra dressing on top and serve immediately.
Cherry on my Sundae http://cherryonmysundae.com/
**Helpful tips and common mistakes
I wasn’t planning on doing this entry but after I prepared these salads for a client and saw how pretty they were, I had to take a picture! This IS my favorite kale salad, so why not share the recipe with everyone else?
I’ve prepared this salad 20 minutes before serving and a day before serving; as long as the kale is softened, it’s good either way. The trick to preparing any kale salad is to really massage the dressing into the leaves.
The dressing and kale is the base of the salad, you can be creative with the toppings. I’ve made a more chickpea heavy salad with the kale and dressing topped with apple and avocado or a more simple salad with just the pine nuts and shaved Parmesan. No matter what you top it with, the dressing will make this salad delicious!