Lemons, capers, brown butter, these three ingredients have been my go-to for almost every sauce. Whether it’s the foundation to create another sauce or it’s the sauce itself, this combination can’t be beat. Used initially for a scallop dish, I tried this sauce for other proteins and vegetables from chicken to lean pork to brussels sprouts to now asparagus. The tartness of the lemons and capers with the smoky, nutty brown butter and caramelized shallots go great with almost everything! Top roasted asparagus with a poached egg and this lemon caper brown butter sauce for a healthy side, appetizer, or even breakfast!
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 poached eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Heat 3 tbsp butter in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Melt butter until foamy and golden. Add shallots and saute 30 seconds. Add capers and lemon juice and cook another 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top asparagus with poached egg. Drizzle sauce on top. Serve.
**Helpful tips and common mistakes
This recipe is easy as 1, 2, 3. Simply roast the asparagus, prepare the sauce and poach an egg.
When prepping the asparagus before roasting, trim the tough end of the stalk. Simply snap off the end of the asparagus where the ends are white.
You can serve this dish with just asparagus and the sauce for a side dish or you can top it with an egg for a healthy, light lunch. Poaching eggs can be a tricky process for some but fear no longer! Mario Batali revealed his secret on how to poach an egg without the hassle on the show, The Chew. Crack an egg into a medium bowl. Slowly pour hot simmering water into the side of the bowl until the egg is completely submerged, about 3 cups of water. Let sit for 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and there you have a perfectly poached egg. Check out the video here. Just amazing!
Top the tender roasted asparagus with the perfectly poached egg and the lemon caper browned butter sauce. Dig into the egg and there you have it! Great for vegetarians and meat-lovers alike.