Crepes are so versatile. They can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, be filled, topped, or plain, and be savory or sweet. I like mine with powdered sugar and fresh strawberries, but having them stuffed with chicken or sausage is always a nice change. To make crepes into a satisfying meal for our hungry employees, I am filling them with roasted chicken, spinach, sauteed mushrooms, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, and a drizzle of pesto. Yum!
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups roasted chicken, shredded
- 2 tsp canola oil, divided
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp butter for cooking
- Make the pesto by blending together basil - pinenuts. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and blend until smooth and thickened. Add the grated Parmesan cheese, blending until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the fillings. Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat another tsp of oil. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the crepe batter by whisking together the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together eggs, milk, water and butter in another bowl. Add the egg mixture to the flour mix and whisk until combined.
- Heat 1 tsp butter in a nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup batter to the pan and swirl the pan to create an even layer. Cook until the crepe becomes lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Flip over and cook on the other side for another minute. Remove from heat and keep warm while cooking the remaining batter.
- Assemble the crepes by filling them with the chicken, mushrooms, spinach and cheese. Drizzle pesto and wrap the crepes. Reheat crepes on a griddle heated to 300 degrees F until cheese melts. Serve.
**Helpful tips and common mistakes
Bubbles will form on the surface of the crepe indicating when they are ready to be flipped.
Repeat with the remaining batter (There are 10 layers of crepes under that one!)