Fourth of July is just around the corner, two days away to be exact. For the holiday weekend, I’m whisking away to Temecula in Southern California and enjoying a little vacation with friends in two huge 5 bedroom estates. Barbecues, swimming, pool tables, wine, games, and good company…can you sense my excitement? I haven’t been on a vacation, not even a weekend getaway, for over an year now – I think it’s about time I get one! To get ready for this weekend, I’m bringing a couple ingredients to break out these amazing s’mores banana sandwich melt. I’ve seen almost every form of s’mores, from cookie sandwiches to milkshakes to donuts to cupcakes, but I have yet to see a grilled sandwich with banana. It’s just as easy to put together as the traditional s’mores but possibly, just possibly, might be tastier.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup nutella
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- Spread butter on one side of all the sliced bread. Flip the bread over and spread 1 tbsp nutella per bread. Set aside half of the sliced prepared bread.
- Lay the sliced banana on the nutella side of the remaining 4 breads. Sprinkle 2 tbsp marshmallows and 1 tbsp graham cracker crumbs per bread. Stack with the reserved prepared bread to create a sandwich, buttered side facing up.
- Heat griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat. Lay sandwiches on the pan and heat until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and heat on the other side until golden brown and the nutella and marshmallows begin to melt. Remove from heat and serve.
**Helpful tips and common mistakes
S’mores banana sandwich melt, a little nutella, marshmallow, banana and graham cracker crumbs sandwiched in crusty bread, how can you go wrong? All my childhood (and adulthood) favorite items in one bite!
This recipe works well with gluten-free bread and can be prepared without the banana. I actually prefered my sandwich with gluten-free bread because gluten-free bread tends to be softer, and helps all the items “melt” into one another. Although the s’mores sandwich melt is great without banana, the fruit adds a juicy component to the sandwich and makes it that much tastier.
I’m drooling just looking at these pictures…prepare to make a large batch because these s’mores banana sandwich melts will run out quickly!